Stop data retention! Click here & act! Are you a webmaster and want to participate? Here you can find all necessary material for your website - Willst du auch an der Aktion teilnehmen? Hier findest du alle relevanten Infos und Materialien:
Chris Karakas Online Forum Index Karakas Online
 FAQFAQ   Forum SearchForum Search   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How to upgrade PHP-Nuke

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
   Chris Karakas Online Forum Index -> PHP-Nuke Forum RSS Feed of this Forum
Share this page: These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.Digg  del.icio.us  tc.eserver.org  Blinklist  Furl  Reddit  Blogmarks  Magnolia  Sphere  Yahoo!  Google  Windows Live  Technorati  Blue Dot  Simpy  Newsvine  Stumble Upon  co.mments.com  Blinkbits  BlogMemes  Connotea  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Truden
Major
Major

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: How to upgrade PHP-Nuke

Hi Friends Smile

May be I'm asking already answerd question, but
How to UPGRADE PHPNuke

I have PHPNuke 6.8 installed.
I have the whole PHPNuke 6.9 downloaded.
I've seen the "upgrade" directory, but I can not understand what actualy must I do.

Could you help me please?

Which files must I overwrite with the new one?
Why there is no list of the new files that must be changed?

Please HELP me Very Happy

Love to All
Truden
chris
Dark Lord of the Sith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject:

We have a thread on this (How to upgrade painlessly from 6.0 to 6.5), but it does not apply to you, since you have a newer version. From the INSTALL file that came with your PHP-Nuke (tip-tip Wink ) (setting to bold by me):
Quote:
Open quoteUpgrading from previous versions
--------------------------------

To upgrade a prevoius PHP-Nuke installation to this new version you need to edit the selected upgrade file from upgrades directory and launch your web browser to:

http://www.yourdomain.com/upgrade35-4.php

all the new tables will be added and updated automagically without touch your old data.

IMPORTANT: Remember to backup always your database before any upgrade, just in case. If something goes wrong don't come crying to me. Close quote

The theory is that it should be as simple as that - point your browser to the right upgrade file and you are done. If you upgrade to a version that is more than one version numbers ahead, then you should apply all upgrade scripts inbetween. The location of the upgrade files is somewhat different than stated above (there are 1.x , 2.x, 3.x, 4.x, 5.x, 6.x directories "inbetween"), but it's all very intuitive. That's the theory.

Arrow Remember: In theorry, theory and practice are the same thing, but in practice they are different. Cool

So trust me about the backups.

Chris Karakas
www.karakas-online.de
Truden
Major
Major

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Let me do it now...

OK Very Happy

Let me do it now, like 30 years ago in the school Laughing

So, I upload everything that I already have in my server but from the newest verssion (6.9)
Befor that I config the config.php like I did with the previous version.

Everything is ready to upgrade.
Now the question comes:
What must I change in the upgrade68-69.php?
There is nothing to be changed!!!
I must just run it from my browser.

Isn't that so?

And one more question:
must I upload the sql and the docs directories

But I can still say:
Thank You, Chris Very Happy

Love to All
Truden
chris
Dark Lord of the Sith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Let me do it now...

Truden wrote:
Open quoteNow the question comes:
What must I change in the upgrade68-69.php? Close quote

Nothing.
Quote:
Open quoteI must just run it from my browser. Close quote

Exactly. Smile
Quote:
Open quotemust I upload the sql and the docs directories Close quote

No. You only need to upload the relevant upgrade-xxx.php file, in order to be able to point your browser to it.

The sql directory is not needed, as you already installed the nuke.sql file in it when you installed the previous version, didn't you? We are still talking about an upgrade, not a fresh install, don't we?

The docs directory contains the PHP-Nuke HOWTO, so I definitely advise you to install it. Very Happy

Check the Formats section on my site though - there is a PHP-Nuke module version of it and I don't know if FB included it in the docs. For a PHP-Nuke site, it is definitely better to install the PHP-Nuke module version of the PHP-Nuke HOWTO, since it will appear just as every other module of your site and integrate nicely in the layout.

Chris Karakas
www.karakas-online.de
Truden
Major
Major

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject:

OK Smile

Thank You, Chris Very Happy
I'll do so.
But must I upgrade if I'm happy with my curent version?
Just an advice, please.

Next time I'll give you nice mathematical present in the Maths forum.
Be ready Exclamation
Wink

Love to All
Truden
chris
Dark Lord of the Sith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject:

Truden wrote:
Open quoteBut must I upgrade if I'm happy with my curent version? Close quote

Not at all! If you don't badly miss any of the new features (of whatever version), if you have taken away all the bugs that bothered you, then why introduce new bugs? Remember, each version may correct old bugs, but introduces new ones...

Especially the way PHP-Nuke is being versioned, there is no reason to get in panic if the 7.x version is out, while you are still working with an "old" 6.x one. The major number in PHP-Nuke versions have nothing to do with major changes in the software, or incompatibilities with older major versions.

You may be wondering why this is so, so let me explain:

Normally, major version numbers, like the "6" in 6.x and the "7" in 7.x, imply that a new, major change has happened and that compatibility with the previous major version is not assured anymore because of that.

With PHP-Nuke, it means that Francisco got out of digits in the decimal system and was forced to use a higher digit of the "major" category: every month, with predictable timing, he brings out a new version with a higher minor number. This is because he promises his club member exclusive access to that "hot" version for one month, so, if they don't get a new version every month, they will feel that they pay a monthly fee for nothing. Thus, versions come out because they *must* come out - and they are just numbered sequencially 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, ..., 7.0, 7.1, 7.3....

This is marketing (as a mathematician I am tempted to say it is just sequencial numbering in 0,1 steps... Rolling Eyes ) and not real versioning, so don't worry about new versions, unless...

...well, as I said, unless you burn to use some new feature it introduces. Smile
Quote:
Open quoteNext time I'll give you nice mathematical present in the Maths forum.
Be ready Exclamation Close quote

I look forward to see it. Smile

Chris Karakas
www.karakas-online.de
Truden
Major
Major

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Thank You, Chris :)

Thank You, Chris Smile
Very sharp and descriptive (like always)... Wink

Thank You for the detailed answer.
It fully reflects my understanding of the subject, but I wanteted to hear it from You.

Your answer made me to take the decision to stay with PHP Nuke 6.8

Love to You and All
Truden

You got my promissed present in the Math Forum Wink
zadreamer
Private
Private

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject:

chris,,

what if i want to install a fresh copy of pnpnuke 7.6 patched and import the phpnuke 7.5 database to the new one ( not upgrading ) ???

plzzzzz help me with this Rolling Eyes
Skull Dragon
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Just make sure you have the correct the db name listed in the config.php file and it should automatically pull the users info from the users table in phpmyadmin.

Related reading: http://www.karakas-online.de/EN-Book/move-php-nuke.html Very Happy

If I am incorrect, sombody please let me know...
chris
Dark Lord of the Sith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject:

zadreamer wrote:
Open quotechris,,

what if i want to install a fresh copy of pnpnuke 7.6 patched and import the phpnuke 7.5 database to the new one ( not upgrading ) ???
Close quote

When you upgrade, you do exactly that - you replace the old files with the new ones, then start the upgrade scripts. So there is no real difference between your fresh install and an upgrade, as long as you only install the files of the fresh install, not the database (which will be imported from the old installation by the upgrade scripts).

Chris Karakas
www.karakas-online.de
Share this page: These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.Digg  del.icio.us  tc.eserver.org  Blinklist  Furl  Reddit  Blogmarks  Magnolia  Sphere  Yahoo!  Google  Windows Live  Technorati  Blue Dot  Simpy  Newsvine  Stumble Upon  co.mments.com  Blinkbits  BlogMemes  Connotea 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
   Chris Karakas Online Forum Index -> PHP-Nuke Forum
Page 1 of 3
This page contains valid HTML 4.01 Transitional - click here to check it!
This page contains a valid CSS - click here to check it!

Jump to: