Stop data retention! Click here & act! Are you a webmaster and want to participate? Here you can find all necessary material for your website - Willst du auch an der Aktion teilnehmen? Hier findest du alle relevanten Infos und Materialien:
Chris Karakas Online Forum Index Karakas Online
 FAQFAQ   Forum SearchForum Search   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How to compile poedit from source and create an RPM package

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
   Chris Karakas Online Forum Index -> SGML, XML and DocBook Forum RSS Feed of this Forum
Share this page: These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.Digg  del.icio.us  tc.eserver.org  Blinklist  Furl  Reddit  Blogmarks  Magnolia  Sphere  Yahoo!  Google  Windows Live  Technorati  Blue Dot  Simpy  Newsvine  Stumble Upon  co.mments.com  Blinkbits  BlogMemes  Connotea  View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris
Dark Lord of the Sith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: How to compile poedit from source and create an RPM package

I wanted to compile poedit from source and create an RPM package on the way. When I started, I could not imagine it would be that hard...

Compiling from source is more or less straightforward. In addition to a functioning "base system" (i.e. a system that contains at least the packages, say, aaa_base acl attr bash bind-utils bison bzip2 coreutils cpio cpp cvs cyrus-sasl db devs diffutils e2fsprogs file filesystem fillup findutils flex gawk gdbm-devel glibc glibc-devel glibc-locale gpm grep groff gzip info insserv kbd less libacl libattr libgcc libstdc++ libxcrypt m4 make man mktemp modutils ncurses ncurses-devel net-tools netcfg openldap2-client openssl pam pam-devel pam-modules patch permissions popt ps rcs readline sed sendmail shadow strace syslogd sysvinit tar texinfo timezone unzip util-linux vim zlib zlib-devel autoconf automake binutils cracklib gcc gdbm gettext libtool perl rpm - don't try with less, you risk getting "su: Invalid password" at the very start... Mr. Green ), you need the following packages (for SuSE):

• gettext
  • wxGTK
  • libgcc
  • gcc
  • gcc-c++
  • wxGTK-devel
  • db-devel
  • db-utils
  • gnome-libs-devel
  • pkgconfig
  • aspell-devel
  • gtkspell-devel
  • gtkspell
  • gnome-filesystem
  • libstdc++-devel
  • gtk
  • gtk-devel
  • glib
  • glib-devel
  • XFree86-libs
  • libpng
  • libjpeg
  • libtiff

Some remarks:

You need gettext, of course. And of course you need gcc and libgcc. But since poedit is based on the wxWidgets, you need wxGTK and wxGTK-devel. We tend to forget the devel packages - don't do this mistake...

If you want to use the spelling capabilities, you will need gtkspell, which needs gtkspell-devel (of course!), which needs aspell-devel. You see, things are becoming more obscure now - something that needs something that needs something.

It is clearly stated that you need the Berkeley DB, in a version newer than, or equal to 3.1. A simple check on a moderately up-to-day system (SuSE 9.0) will show you that you have db-4.x, so that should be O.K., right?

Wrong. You install db and db-devel (don't forget the devel package, of course), but compilation ends with an error:

Code:

checking for Berkeley DB...
WARNING: cannot find Berkeley DB >= 3.1, poEdit will build w/o translation memory feature

This one is tough: even with db and db-devel installed, you keep getting that error. The configure script does the check with a do-loop that starts as follows:

Code:

for version in "" 5.0 4.9 4.8 4.7 4.6 4.5 4.4 4.3 4.2 4.1 4.0 3.6 3.5 3.4 3.3 3.2 3.1 ; do

if test -z $version ; then
        db_lib="-ldb"
        try_headers="db.h"
    else
        db_lib="-ldb-$version"
        try_headers="db$version/db.h db`echo $version | sed -e 's,\..*,,g'`/db.h"
    fi

The string "db$version/db.h" is not going to be correct, because on a SuSE system you have

/usr/include/db.h
/usr/include/db4/db.h

but not /usr/include/db4.0/db.h.

It turns out that the only version from the list in the above code that passes the test is the very first version string in the list, the empty string """. But for this to work, you must get around another error (visible only in the config.log file): the ld loader complains that it "cannot find -lstdc++". However, the libstdc++ package is already installed...what is going on?

After a very tedious search, it turned out that I forgot to install libstdc++-devel. Rolling Eyes

Chris Karakas
www.karakas-online.de

Last edited by chris on Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
chris
Dark Lord of the Sith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Here is the final spec file for poedit under SuSE Linux:

Code:

#
# spec file for package poedit
#
# Copyright (c) 2005 Chris Karakas
# This file and all modifications and additions to the pristine
# package are under the same license as the package itself.
#
# Please submit bugfixes or comments via http://www.karakas-online.de/cgi2/index.html
#

# neededforbuild db gettext libstdc++ wxGTK 

# usedforbuild aaa_base acl attr bash bind-utils bison bzip2 coreutils cpio cpp cvs cyrus-sasl db devs diffutils e2fsprogs file filesystem fillup findutils flex gawk gdbm-devel glibc glibc-devel glibc-locale gpm grep groff gzip info insserv kbd less libacl libattr libgcc libstdc++ libxcrypt m4 make man mktemp modutils ncurses ncurses-devel net-tools netcfg openldap2-client openssl pam pam-devel pam-modules patch permissions popt ps rcs readline sed sendmail shadow strace syslogd sysvinit tar texinfo timezone unzip util-linux vim zlib zlib-devel autoconf automake binutils cracklib gcc gdbm gettext libtool perl rpm gettext wxGTK libgcc gcc gcc-c++ wxGTK-devel db-devel db-utils zip gnome-libs-devel pkgconfig aspell-devel gtkspell-devel gtkspell gnome-filesystem libstdc++-devel gtk gtk-devel glib glib-devel XFree86-libs libpng libjpeg libtiff

Summary: PoEdit is a cross-platform gettext catalogs (.po files) editor
Name: poedit
Version: 1.3.2
Release: 1
License: GPL
Group: Development/Tools
URL: http://poedit.sourceforge.net/
Packager: Chris Karakas (http://www.karakas-online.de)
Source: http://dl.sf.net/poedit/%{name}-%{version}.tar.gz
BuildRoot:    %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-build
BuildRequires: gcc, gcc-c++, wxGTK-devel, db-devel, gettext, zip, gnome-libs-devel, pkgconfig, gnome-filesystem, libstdc++, libstdc++-devel, gtk, gtk-devel, glib, glib-devel, XFree86-libs, libpng, libjpeg, libtiff
Requires: wxGTK, db, gettext, aspell-devel, gtkspell-devel, gtkspell

%define gnomedatadir   %(echo '/opt/gnome/bin/gnome-config --datadir' | sh)

%description
poEdit is a cross-platform gettext catalogs (.po files) editor. It is built
with wxWindows.

%prep
%setup

%build
#
# Source profile extensions for certain packages
#
if test -d /etc/profile.d -a -z "$PROFILEREAD" ; then
    for s in /etc/profile.d/*.sh ; do
        test -r $s && . $s
    done
    unset s
fi

#
# Source the files generated by SuSEconfig
#
if test -z "$PROFILEREAD" ; then
    test -e /etc/SuSEconfig/profile && . /etc/SuSEconfig/profile
fi

#
# Avoid overwriting user settings if called twice
#
    readonly PROFILEREAD=true
    export PROFILEREAD
fi

./configure \
    --prefix=/usr \
    --mandir=%{_mandir}
make

%install
[ "$RPM_BUILD_ROOT" != "/" ] && [ -d $RPM_BUILD_ROOT ] && rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT;
make install DESTDIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT
mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_defaultdocdir}/%{name}
pushd $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_datadir}/%{name}/
    for i in *
    do
        ln -s %{_datadir}/%{name}/$i \
              $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_defaultdocdir}/%{name}/
    done
popd
cp AUTHORS COPYING NEWS README TODO \

%clean
[ "$RPM_BUILD_ROOT" != "/" ] && [ -d $RPM_BUILD_ROOT ] && rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT;

%files
%defattr(-,root,root)
%doc %{_defaultdocdir}/%{name}/*
%doc %{_datadir}/%{name}/*
%{_bindir}/%{name}
%{_mandir}/man1/%{name}*
%{gnomedatadir}/pixmaps/%{name}*
%{gnomedatadir}/gnome/apps/Development/%{name}*
%{gnomedatadir}/mime-info/%{name}*
%{_datadir}/locale/*/LC_MESSAGES/%{name}*

%changelog
* Sat Mar 26 2005 Chris Karakas (http://www.karakas-online.de)
- First packaging for SuSE.

Chris Karakas
www.karakas-online.de

Last edited by chris on Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
chris
Dark Lord of the Sith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject:

And here are the ready-to-use RPMs for poedit and SuSE 9.x (compiled on SuSE 9.0):

Chris Karakas
www.karakas-online.de
chris
Dark Lord of the Sith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject:

And here's how it looks like:

Chris Karakas
www.karakas-online.de
chris
Dark Lord of the Sith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How to compile poedit from source and create an RPM pack

chris wrote:
Open quoteYou install db and db-devel (don't forget the devel package, of course), but compilation ends with an error:

Code:

WARNING: cannot find Berkeley DB >= 3.1, poEdit will build w/o translation memory feature

This one is tough: even with db and db-devel installed, you keep getting that error. The configure script does the check with a do-loop that starts as follows:

Code:

for version in "" 5.0 4.9 4.8 4.7 4.6 4.5 4.4 4.3 4.2 4.1 4.0 3.6 3.5 3.4 3.3 3.2 3.1 ; do

db_lib="-ldb"
        try_headers="db.h"
    else
        db_lib="-ldb-$version"
    fi

The string "db$version/db.h" is not going to be correct, because on a SuSE system you have

/usr/include/db.h
/usr/include/db4/db.h

but not /usr/include/db4.0/db.h. Close quote

My analysis is wrong here. If you look carefully at the sed script that is passed on the sed command line

Code:

s,\..*,,g

(which uses the comma "," as a delimiter, instead of the usual "/"), you will see that it strips away the numbers after the decimal point. To see this, just run the following script:

Code:

#! /bin/sh

db_lib="-ldb"
      try_headers="db.h"
  else
      db_lib="-ldb-$version"
      echo $try_headers
  fi
done

It will output the following:

Code:

db5.0/db.h db5/db.h
db4.9/db.h db4/db.h
db4.8/db.h db4/db.h
db4.7/db.h db4/db.h
db4.6/db.h db4/db.h
db4.5/db.h db4/db.h
db4.4/db.h db4/db.h
db4.3/db.h db4/db.h
db4.2/db.h db4/db.h
db4.1/db.h db4/db.h
db4.0/db.h db4/db.h
db3.6/db.h db3/db.h
db3.5/db.h db3/db.h
db3.4/db.h db3/db.h
db3.3/db.h db3/db.h
db3.2/db.h db3/db.h
db3.1/db.h db3/db.h

so that the configure script, which uses the same code, is going to test first for db5.0/db.h and db5/db.h, then for db4.9/db.h and db4/db.h - so that, after all, db4/db.h will be tested to see if it contains the DB libraries.

So the problem of the

Code:

error is not in the configure script,as I originally thought. But then, where is it?

The answer, as in so many other cases, is given by the config.log file, which will be found in the build system (i.e. in the directory where the configure script was executed). Upon inspecting it, I found this:

Code:

configure:4735: checking for Berkeley DB >= 3.1
configure:4783: g++ -o conftest -g -O2 -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-2.4 -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -D__WXGTK__ -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -I/opt/gnome/include/gtkspell-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/include/gtk-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0 -I/opt/gnome/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/opt/gnome/include/glib-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/lib/glib-2.0/include     conftest.cc  -Wl,--export-dynamic -L/opt/gnome/lib -lgtkspell -laspell -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangoxft-1.0 -lpangox-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0   -ldb >&5
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.1/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: warning: libaspell.so.15, needed by /opt/gnome/lib/libgtkspell.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.1/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: warning: libfontconfig.so.1, needed by /opt/gnome/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.1/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: warning: libfreetype.so.6, needed by /opt/gnome/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.1/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: warning: libexpat.so.0, needed by /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.2, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/opt/gnome/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so: undefined reference to `FT_Realloc'
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.2: undefined reference to `FcPatternAddInteger'
/opt/gnome/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so: undefined reference to `FcObjectSetBuild'
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.2: undefined reference to `FT_Init_FreeType'
/opt/gnome/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so: undefined reference to `FT_Stream_GetShort'
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.2: undefined reference to `FcPatternAddBool'
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.2: undefined reference to `FcPatternGetBool'
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.2: undefined reference to `FcFreeTypeCharSet'
/opt/gnome/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so: undefined reference to `FT_Load_Glyph'
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.2: undefined reference to `FT_Done_Face'
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.2: undefined reference to `FcNameUnparse'

and many similar "undefined reference" errors. I was obviously missing pango, atk and some other packages. After adding

Code:

aspell aspell-devel gtk2 gtk2-devel gdk-pixbuf glib2 glib2-devel pango pango-devel atk atk-devel fontconfig freetype2 expat

to the usedforbuild string, the error disappeared and DB was recognized in the build system.

Chris Karakas
www.karakas-online.de
chris
Dark Lord of the Sith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject:

I have uploaded RPMs for the new poedit version 1.3.3:

Thanks to Milos Komarcevic for suggestions and improvements.

I have compiled this version of poedit (in the binary RPM of course) using the gtk2 packages:

gtk2-devel-2.2.3-27
gtk2-2.2.3-49

so you will need GTK+ (gtk2) installed. I also have spellchecking support enabled, so you will need gtkspell, which needs aspell. You will also need wxGTK >= 2.4.1, but I strongly suggest the newer 2.5.3.1 version, as poedit seemed to be having problems with large fonts when compiled with the older 2.4.1 version. So just go get the source and binary RPM packages for wxGTK I have compiled for you. Cool

Again, the source RPMs are for SuSE 9.0 and earlier, which still use the usedforbuild string in the spec files. To rebuild a package for your own version of (SuSE) Linux, use the source RPMs and the build and/or rpmbuild commands, as described in How to compile an older version for a newer system in RPM. For later SuSE Linux versions (later than, say, 9.0), you will have to copy the usedforbuild string to the BuildRequires string in the spec file.

Chris Karakas
www.karakas-online.de
chris
Dark Lord of the Sith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject:

The new spec file for poedit looks now as follows:

Code:

#
# spec file for package poedit
#
# Copyright (c) 2005 Chris Karakas (http://www.karakas-online.de)
# This file and all modifications and additions to the pristine
# package are under the same license as the package itself.
#
# Please submit bugfixes or comments via http://www.karakas-online.de/cgi2/index.html
#

# neededforbuild db gettext libstdc++ wxGTK 

# usedforbuild aaa_base acl attr bash bind-utils bison bzip2 coreutils cpio cpp cvs cyrus-sasl db devs diffutils e2fsprogs file filesystem fillup findutils flex gawk gdbm-devel glibc glibc-devel glibc-locale gpm grep groff gzip info insserv kbd less libacl libattr libgcc libstdc++ libxcrypt m4 make man mktemp modutils ncurses ncurses-devel net-tools netcfg openldap2-client openssl pam pam-devel pam-modules patch permissions popt ps rcs readline sed sendmail shadow strace syslogd sysvinit tar texinfo timezone unzip util-linux vim zlib zlib-devel autoconf automake binutils cracklib gcc gdbm gettext libtool perl rpm gettext wxGTK gcc-c++ wxGTK-devel db-devel db-utils zip gnome-libs-devel pkgconfig aspell aspell-devel gtkspell-devel gtkspell gnome-filesystem libstdc++-devel XFree86-libs libpng libjpeg libtiff gtk2 gtk2-devel gdk-pixbuf glib2 glib2-devel pango pango-devel atk atk-devel fontconfig freetype2 expat

Summary: PoEdit is a cross-platform gettext catalogs (.po files) editor
Name: poedit
Version: 1.3.3
Release: 1
License: MIT Licence (http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.html)
Group: Development/Tools
URL: http://poedit.sourceforge.net/
Packager: Chris Karakas (http://www.karakas-online.de)
Source: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/poedit/%{name}-%{version}.tar.gz
BuildRoot:    %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-build
BuildRequires: gcc, gcc-c++, wxGTK-devel, db-devel, gettext, zip, gnome-libs-devel, pkgconfig >= 0.9.0, gnome-filesystem, libstdc++, libstdc++-devel, XFree86-libs, libpng, libjpeg, libtiff, glib2, glib2-devel, pango, pango-devel, atk, atk-devel, aspell, aspell-devel, fontconfig, freetype2, expat
Requires: wxGTK >= 2.4.1, db >= 3.1, gettext, gtkspell, gtk2, pango, atk
Provides: poedit

%define gnomedatadir   %(echo '/opt/gnome/bin/gnome-config --datadir' | sh)

%description
poEdit is a cross-platform gettext catalogs (.po files) editor. It is built
with wxWindows.

%prep
%setup

%build
#
# Source profile extensions for certain packages
#
if test -d /etc/profile.d -a -z "$PROFILEREAD" ; then
    for s in /etc/profile.d/*.sh ; do
        test -r $s && . $s
    done
    unset s
fi

#
# Source the files generated by SuSEconfig
#
    test -e /etc/SuSEconfig/profile && . /etc/SuSEconfig/profile
fi

#
# Avoid overwriting user settings if called twice
#
    readonly PROFILEREAD=true
    export PROFILEREAD
fi

./configure \
    --prefix=/usr \
    --mandir=%{_mandir}
make

%install
make install DESTDIR=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT
mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_defaultdocdir}/%{name}
pushd $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_datadir}/%{name}/
    for i in *
    do
        ln -s %{_datadir}/%{name}/$i \
    done
popd
cp AUTHORS COPYING NEWS README TODO \

%clean

%files
%defattr(-,root,root)
%doc %{_defaultdocdir}/%{name}/*
%doc %{_datadir}/%{name}/*
%{_bindir}/%{name}
%{_mandir}/man1/%{name}*
%{gnomedatadir}/pixmaps/%{name}*
%{gnomedatadir}/gnome/apps/Development/%{name}*
%{gnomedatadir}/mime-info/%{name}*
%{_datadir}/locale/*/LC_MESSAGES/%{name}*

%changelog
* Fri Aug 19 2005 Chris Karakas (http://www.karakas-online.de)
- Version 1.3.3.
- Applied patch from Milos Komarcevic to simplify Requires and BuildRequires.
- Corrected Licence field in spec file (MIT instead of GPL).
- Corrected usedforbuild list: added many packages that are needed for a correct build.
* Sat Mar 26 2005 Chris Karakas (http://www.karakas-online.de)
- First packaging for SuSE.

And here's how it looks like:

Chris Karakas
www.karakas-online.de
chris
Dark Lord of the Sith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Arrow Note: In order for the configure script to get everything right, you not only need to have gtk2 (GTK+) installed on your build system - the wxGTK package on the build system must also be compiled with gtk2 (GTK+) support. That's why it is important to not only just have the wxGTK package installed, but have it compiled with gtk2 too.

Failing to do so, you will wonder why you are getting the error

Code:

checking if wxWidgets toolkit uses GTK+ 2... no

although both gtk2 and wxGTK are installed.

That's why I have compiled the source and binary RPM packages for wxGTK for you here - to save you all this hassle. Wink

Chris Karakas
www.karakas-online.de
chris
Dark Lord of the Sith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject:

I have uploaded RPMs for the new poedit version 1.3.4:

Here's how poedit 1.3.4 looks:

As you can see, poedit uses the locale of the user (greek, i.e. "el_GR" in this case Wink) for the menus and messages. Just put

Code:

export LANG="el_GR"

in your .bashrc to see the difference.

poedit 1.3.4 needs the libmspack package (probably the libmspack-devel package too), so you need to install that one too. Also, this version has been compiled against wxGTK-2.6.3.2, so you will probably need to install wxWidgets 2.6 too. I am saying this, because poedit 1.3.3 insisted on getting a wxGTK 2.6.5 library, just because it was compiled with wxGTK 2.5.x:

Code:

poedit: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_xrc-2.5.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

although I had the libwx_gtk2u_xrc-2.6.so* libraries of wxGTK 2.6 installed. So I guess poedit 1.3.4 will insist on having wxGTK 2.6, since it was compiled on a system that had wxGTK 2.6.x. See Binary and source RPM packages for wxWidgets (wxGTK) for SuSE RPMs of wxGTK 2.6.x.

Chris Karakas
www.karakas-online.de
Share this page: These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.Digg  del.icio.us  tc.eserver.org  Blinklist  Furl  Reddit  Blogmarks  Magnolia  Sphere  Yahoo!  Google  Windows Live  Technorati  Blue Dot  Simpy  Newsvine  Stumble Upon  co.mments.com  Blinkbits  BlogMemes  Connotea 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
   Chris Karakas Online Forum Index -> SGML, XML and DocBook Forum
Page 1 of 1
This page contains valid HTML 4.01 Transitional - click here to check it!
This page contains a valid CSS - click here to check it!

Jump to: